Rhythm Doctor is a one-button rhythm game that aims to invisibly teach complex music and rhythm theory. The core mechanic is simple: slam your spacebar on the 7th beat to save patients in a hospital. But every level has a twist on that concept: polyrhythms, offbeats, hemiolas, irregular time signatures.. if those don’t mean much to you, don’t worry - it’s designed to make you learn rhythm theory without even realising it. The simple one-button control scheme is balanced with brutally hard precision down to milliseconds, making saving every patient a challenge.
Two friends learnt game development solely driven by a game idea, while studying Engineering and Actuarial Science at the University of Cambridge. The idea came about while the game designer was getting his Diploma in Music and studying music theory. They released a demo and won an IGF nomination for the game back in 2014, while they were still in school. The response was overwhelming, with the online demo game being played more than 400,000 times. Now that they've finally graduated, they've expanded their team and are going full steam on development to finish this game. As of 29th March 2017, their game has been Greenlighted on Steam and will be released later this year.
- 20+ handmade levels, each with their own story.
- Every level introduces a different concept of rhythm theory in an accessible way.
- A large cast of doctors and patients feature in an epic overarching storyline.
- Play solo campaign or grab a friend for drop-in drop-out local multiplayer throughout the whole campaign!
- Blind mode, where the game can be played completely via audio cues only.
- Challenge levels and New Game+ modes for the brave.
- Full visual and audio calibration settings.
- A millisecond-precise rhythm engine, tested and tweaked over hundreds of hours.
Greenlight Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Overview YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF Student Showcase Nominee" San Francisco GDC 2014
- "PC Gamers' Top 50 Free Games of All Time" PC Gamer, 2016
- "$15000 Government Grant Recepient" Intellectual Property Creators Challenge (IPCC), Malaysia, 2015
- "$6500 Peru Startup Government Grant Recepient" Peru, 2017
- "Indie Prize: Best Audio Award" Casual Connect, Singapore, May 2017
The base mechanic and premise of Rhythm Doctor are gold for me. Rhythm is in everything, and I'm glad the developers found it in medicine.John Polson, IndieGames.com
A genuine masterclass in rhythm game design.Laura K Dale, IndieHaven
Even if you've checked it out before, please try this new build. It's deliciously difficult, and that's really what keeps me coming back.Dale North, Destructoid
A rad Rhythm Paradise-esque browser game (...) sadistically difficult.Jeffrey Matulef, Eurogamer
- Gamasutra Interview
- Interview we gave in 2014 regarding our IGF nomination. gamasutra.com.
- Original Soundtrack
- Some of the music, uploaded as we go along. soundcloud.com.
- Rhythm Doctor Browser Demo
- Our online browser demo. fizzd.itch.io.
- Rhythm Doctor Greenlight Page
- Our Greenlight page (we were greenlit 28th March 2017) steamcommunity.com.
About 7th Beat Games
- We make hardcore one-button rhythm games!
- More information
- More information on 7th Beat Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Rhythm Doctor Credits
- Hafiz Azman
- Game Design, Programming, Music
- Winston Lee
- Giacomo Preciado
- Alberto Gonzalez
- Additional Programming
- Jakob Crowe
- Additional Level Designer